Better Family Article Series
The Absorption Advantage
This article series is brought to you by the team behind Liquid Daily: the better option for filling nutritional gaps in your household.
Liquid Is Better
Simplify Your Routine
You're In Control
- Vitamin B12 is the bloodstream vitamin, as it helps create red blood cells.
- When you have low levels of Vitamin B12, you could find yourself feeling tired, getting numb, having memory problems and you could even get anemia among other deficiency symptoms.
- For the fastest absorption, the best form in which to take your B12 supplement is in liquid form.
Best Vitamin B12 Liquid Drops
Vitamin B12, or cobalamin, has become quite a buzzword on the health scene and for good reason. The benefits that healthy levels of this essential micronutrient can provide for your body are countless. B12 plays an important role in the wellness of several systems throughout your body. In the cardiovascular system, vitamin B12 is known for helping to create red blood cells, thus fortifying your bloodstream and preventing anemia (1). It also breaks down homocysteine, a protein that has been linked to higher risk of heart disease when present in excessive amounts in the bloodstream (2).
In addition to assisting the cardiovascular system, vitamin B12 has a hand in boosting your cognitive functions. In some cases, high homocysteine levels have been found to correlate with dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and general cognitive decline, once again making B12’s reduction of the protein an essential aspect of your body’s upkeep. An assistant to routine brain function as well, vitamin B12 has the ability to heighten your mood and reduce common symptoms of depression. Thanks to its neurological benefits, B12 even plays an important role in any pregnancy by helping the fetus’s brain to develop properly (3). Those who are pregnant or breastfeeding should pay special attention to make sure they regularly consume enough of this vital micronutrient.
When you’re faced with low levels of any nutrient, whether B12 or other essential vitamins and minerals, it can be difficult to find a healthy way to supplement your body without causing yourself discomfort or missing out on some of your dosage. Swallowing pills or capsules can be impossible for children or anyone suffering from dysphagia. Not to mention, pills, capsules, gummies, and any supplement that needs to be broken down before your body can take it in will run the risk of leaving the body prior to being fully absorbed.
If any of these conditions are relevant to you, then your best way to take B12 will likely be in the form of liquid drops or a B12 supplement spray. Liquid options are without a doubt the best B12 supplement for absorption because they skip the digestion step entirely, allowing them to be absorbed into your bloodstream at a much faster rate.
B12 Deficiency Symptoms
Since B12 plays an important role in your overall wellness and daily functions, vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms will affect a range of systems throughout your body. As mentioned above, your body’s production of red blood cells relies on a sufficient stream of B12, so anemia, or the lack of red blood cells, is often a symptom of B12 deficiency. Other more common symptoms may include numbness or tingling in the hands, legs, or feet, weakness and fatigue, swollen tongue, difficulty walking, and memory loss (4). Low B12 levels during pregnancy can also increase the risk of serious birth defects, especially neural tube defects such as spina bifida, anencephaly, and encephalocele (5).
Since B12 largely comes from animal products like meat, dairy, and eggs, eating a vegan or vegetarian diet may put you at higher risk for developing a deficiency. For anyone suffering from depression, it’s worth noting that lower serotonin production is also a symptom of B12 deficiency. If either of these circumstances applies to you, and you find yourself unable to work foods that are rich in B12 into your diet, then you may want to consider adding a supplement to your daily routine. Since liquid supplements have the best absorption rates, let’s take a look at some of the best vitamin B12 liquid drops available for a wide range of circumstances.
Best B12 Supplement For Energy
One of the reasons B12 has become so popular as of late is its ability to provide an excellent boost of energy. In fact, many people have begun to swap in a liquid B12 supplement in place of their afternoon cup of coffee to gain that same necessary burst of energy without any added caffeine or sugars. Along with the other 8 B complex vitamins, B12 helps your body break down the food you eat, converting it into glucose, which gives you energy and powers your cells (6). Those experiencing a B12 deficiency may find a B12 supplement to be particularly effective in boosting their energy levels.
The best B12 supplement for energy is mykind Organics’ Vitamin B12 Organic Spray. This potent formula comes in a convenient spray bottle that you can take with you on the go for that quick boost of energy when you hit your midday lull. Boasting no added sugars and a checklist of organic foods, this great-tasting raspberry spritz provides the perfect daily dose of B12 to assist your red blood cells and increase your cognitive function.
Best Vitamin B12 And D Supplement
In some cases, vitamin B12 deficiency has been linked with lower mineral density in bones, leading to an increased risk of osteoporosis. Another extremely important vitamin for bone health is vitamin D, which allows your body to absorb the calcium it needs to build and maintain your bones (7). Since both of these micronutrients play a key role in the wellness of your bones and the prevention of diseases like osteoporosis, it may be wise to take them together if you feel your body is not receiving enough of them in your normal diet.
The best vitamin B12 and D supplement exists in the form of our Liquid Daily Multivitamin. Our diverse blend of vital micronutrients includes both vitamins B12 and D along with the rest of the B complex vitamins, vitamins A, E, and K, and important minerals like iodine, selenium, and chromium. This all-in-one liquid solution can be consumed sublingually and is more concentrated than other liquid multivitamins, making it the standout choice for fast absorption of only the highest quality micronutrients. Both safe and effective, our Liquid Daily Multivitamin is a great choice for any household and can be given to family members of all ages.
Best B12 Supplement For Vegans
As mentioned above, anyone following a vegan diet is at a much higher risk of developing a B12 deficiency, as B12 is not found in plant-based foods. Vitamin B12 is naturally present in animal products such as dairy, meat, and eggs because it comes from mico-organisms. The only way for vegans to ensure their bodies receive a healthy amount of B12 is to eat foods that have been fortified with the micronutrient, such as fortified cereals and soy, or to adopt a B12 supplement into their routine.
The best B12 supplement for vegans is another liquid drop option: LiveWell’s 100% Methylcobalamin Vegan B12 Drops. With the ability to be taken sublingually, these powerful drops absorb into your body rapidly, ensuring you receive the exact dosage your body needs to stay healthy. They boast a completely vegan formula as well, with great-tasting citrus drops that will boost your mood, your mind, and your immune system all in one.
B12 Drops For Weight Loss
Because of the role it plays in breaking down the foods you eat, vitamin B12 is directly linked with your metabolism. This link has led some people to question, “Does B12 make you lose weight?” The short answer is not exactly. For anyone who has a proper amount of B12 in their daily routine and is not deficient, a B12 supplement will likely have no effect on their weight loss or their metabolism. However, those who are experiencing a deficiency may add a B12 supplement and see a subsequent increase in energy levels thanks to a boosted metabolism (8). A higher metabolism, of course, can lead to weight loss, but for non-deficient individuals, B12 supplements on their own are not a magic pill for losing weight.
An example of B12 drops that could assist with weight loss in deficient individuals is LiveWise Naturals’ Liquid Vitamin B12 Bioactive Blend. Available in both flavored and unflavored options, these liquid drops contain two potent forms of B12: methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. The formula is completely vegan and non-GMO, supporting healthy digestion and boosting your metabolism to increase your overall wellness and the chances of dropping a few pounds at the same time.
How To Get Vitamin B12 Naturally
If you’re wondering how to get vitamin B12 naturally outside of supplements, there are plenty of B12-rich foods that you can incorporate into your regular diet. Striving to eat a well-rounded diet is extremely important for healthy living. You should always try to include the nutrients you need naturally in the foods you eat before looking for supplements. However, as food quality has decreased over the years, it has become more and more difficult to ensure your diet maintains all the nutrients your body needs on a daily basis. When gaps begin to form in your dietary nutrition, supplements rise to fill those gaps with the nutrients you may otherwise be missing.
Overall, the best B12 foods are animal products. Any dairy products like milk, yogurt, and cheese, as well as meat, fish, and eggs, will contain large amounts of B12. Unfortunately, there are no vitamin B12 fruits, and there is no vitamin B12 in nuts and seeds either. For this reason, vegans and vegetarians are at a higher risk for B12 deficiency, but there are plenty of fortified vegan foods available, including breakfast cereals, energy bars, meat and dairy substitutes, nutritional yeast, and rice (9). However, to better avoid deficiencies, try to incorporate a variety of these B12 sources into your diet and look for supplements if necessary, whether in the form of B12 on its own or a more comprehensive multivitamin.
- Berkheiser, Kaitlyn. “9 Health Benefits of Vitamin B12, Based on Science.” healthline, 14 June 2018, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-b12-benefits.
- “The Nutrition Source: Vitamin B12.” Harvard School of Public Health, 2021, https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamin-b12.
- “Roles of Vitamin B in Pregnancy.” American Pregnancy Association, 2021, https://americanpregnancy.org/healthy-pregnancy/pregnancy-health-wellness/vitamin-b-pregnancy.
- Harvard Health Publishing Staff. “Vitamin B12 Deficiency Can Be Sneaky, Harmful.” Harvard Health Publishing, 31 August 2020, https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vitamin-b12-deficiency-can-be-sneaky-harmful-201301105780.
- “Complications: Vitamin B12 or Folate Deficiency Anaemia.” National Health Service, 23 May 2019, https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamin-b12-or-folate-deficiency-anaemia/complications.
- Morris, Susan York. “Vitamins for Energy: Does B-12 Work?” healthline, 17 September 2018, https://www.healthline.com/health/b12-vitamins-for-energy.
- Mayo Clinic Staff. “Vitamin D.” Mayo Clinic, 9 February 2021, https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-vitamin-d/art-20363792.
- Bauer, Brent A. “Are Vitamin B-12 Injections Helpful for Weight Loss?” Mayo Clinic, 26 August 2020, https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/vitamin-b12-injections/faq-20058145.
- McDermott, Anette. “Foods That Are Rich in Vitamin B-12 for Any Diet.” healthline, 29 August 2017, https://www.healthline.com/health/vitamin-b-12-foods.
More articles from Better Family
- Family Multivitamin
- Liquid Multivitamins
- Best Liquid Multivitamin for Kids
- Chewable vs Liquid Vitamins
- Comparing Monthly Vitamin Subscriptions
- Best Multivitamin for the Whole Family
- Family Diet And Menu Planning
- Multivitamin Liquid Side Effects
- Best Vitamin B12 Liquid Drops
- Liquid Children's Vitamins
- Vitamin Subscription Box
- Good Tasting Liquid Vitamins
- Liquid Vitamin B6 Supplement
- Liquid Selenium Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin E Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B1 Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B3 Supplement
- Family Health Goals
- Family Health Goals
- Family Health and Wellness Programs
- How to Absorb Multivitamins Better
- Family Nutrition Tips
- Liquid Multivitamin for Adults
- Liquid Multivitamin for Seniors
- Liquid Vitamins and Minerals
- Why Do We Need To Take Multivitamins?
- Liquid Zinc Supplement
- Vitamin Absorption Chart
- Vitamins That Taste Good
- Liquid Chromium Supplement
- Liquid Silicon Dioxide Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin D Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B9 Supplement
- Vitamin Subscription Services
- Can You Dissolve Multivitamins in Water?
- Organic Liquid Multivitamins and Minerals
- Tasteless Liquid Vitamins
- Nutrition For The Whole Family
- B Complex Liquid Drops
- Best Liquid Vitamins for Elderly
- Soluble Vitamins
- How To Take Multivitamins
- Tasteless Liquid Vitamins For Toddlers
- Liquid Zinc Benefits
- Best Tasting Gummy Vitamins
- Liquid Iodine Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin K Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B12 Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B7 Supplement