- When asked, over half of US adults think they have a very healthy diet, but 94% of adults eat less than the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables
- Liquid multivitamin supplements can be a highly effective way to fill gaps in your diet with
- Liquid multivitamins with immunity-boosting vitamins, like B6 and E are among the best for immune system health
Liquid Multivitamin for Adults
Over half of US adults think they have a very healthy diet… but most of us are incorrect in that assumption. Turns out that a whopping 94% of adults eat less than the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables, with many (62%) saying they only eat 1-2 servings of fruits and vegetables (1). For this reason, it’s essential to find multivitamins to fill the vast nutrition gap.
Preferences are important to consider when selecting a liquid vitamin for adults. Some people prefer vegan options, but others don’t factor that into their decision making process at all. For this reason, the best liquid vitamin for you may not match the preferences of your friends. That said, finding the right liquid vitamin for you doesn’t have to be complicated. In the next sections, we’ve listed several good options.
Adulthood encompasses a wide range of ages, so for that reason we’ve also included at least one liquid multivitamin for seniors in each of the categories below. One of the benefits of liquid vitamins for the elderly is that aging sometimes carries with it issues such as swallowing difficulty, or dysphasia (2). For this reason, liquid vitamins are especially ideal for older adults and anyone who experiences dysphasia, regardless of age.
If you are looking for liquid vitamins for kids, we’ve covered those extensively in another post, although we can offer some recommendations here too. Tropical Oasis Premium Kids Liquid Multivitamin and Superfood contains 14 vitamins, zero sugar, and has a great taste. ChildLife Multivitamin and Mineral has an orange/mango flavor and has over 15 vitamins and minerals. Picky Eater Multi is a dissolvable tablet that caters specifically to the choosy set and comes in cherry flavor. It contains 18 vitamins and minerals. IntraKid 2.0 is yet another liquid option that is raspberry flavored and contains over 15 vitamins and minerals. This is another organic option and is recommended for kids ages 4-12.
Best Liquid Multivitamin for Adults
Centrum Adult Liquid Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement is widely considered the best liquid multivitamin for adults. It is citrus-flavored. Word of warning: this is not formulated for use in children, so it’s advisable to keep it out of their reach. Centrum Liquid has 17 nutrients, including vitamins B and C and iron. It also contains antioxidants, like vitamin E and zinc, which support immune function (3).
Nature’s Way Alive Multivitamin Max Potency is another citrus flavored option for adults and contains over 20 vitamins and minerals. It’s not recommended for use by pregnant or nursing women. Pregnant and nursing women require more folic acid and iron than the average adult (4), so that’s the likely reason for the disclaimer. This vitamin is jam-packed, with much of the vitamin content above the recommended daily value percentages. Ensure you don’t reach your UL (Tolerable Upper Intake Level) by taking this supplement in order to avoid any adverse effects (5).
As far organic liquid multivitamins go, MaryRuth’s is a very popular option. There are several vitamin formulations, including the Liquid Morning Multivitamin, Liquid Night Time Multivitamin, a multimineral and standalone liquid supplements like zinc and magnesium. They also offer liquid probiotics and chewable elderberry tablets. Their products come in a variety of flavors, including raspberry and coconut.The best liquid vitamins for immune system health are ones that include immunity-boosting vitamins, like B6, C, and E (6). IntraMax 2.0 (the grown-up version of the aforementioned IntraKid 2.0) has all of these vitamins and more. It’s vegan and has a Peach Mango flavor.
IntraMax 2.0 also has plenty of minerals and electrolytes. Athletes who continually push themselves to the limit have an increased risk of upper respiratory tract infections (7), so one with immunity-boosting vitamins would also be the best liquid multivitamin for athletes. It’s recommended that athletes also take Coenzyme Q10 (to battle fatigue), calcium and vitamin D (to promote healthy bones, teeth, and muscles), iron (since iron deficiency can be common in athletes), and B vitamins for female athletes, who are at increased risk of deficiency (8). Some athletes also find it helpful to take L-Carnitine, as it helps boost energy and burn fat (9).
Another type of carnitine is Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR), which is more beneficial to senior citizens, especially those with neurodegenerative diseases (9). The best liquid multivitamin for elderly people with these issues should have ALCAR in it, although there doesn’t seem to be one like that on the market yet. In fact, most ALCAR comes in either capsule or powder form, so the best way to administer this would be to purchase the powder form and add it to a beverage daily. If you feel confident in your ability to measure and mix, you can also try adding it to a liquid vitamin you’ve already got on hand. California Gold Nutrition offers a Mem Food blend that contains ALCAR, although it’s less of a daily vitamin and more of a mix to be added to a shake or beverage.
Liquid Multivitamin for Men
If you’re on the lookout for a liquid vitamin for men, Men’s Mega Premium Liquid Vitamin with CoQ10 and PABA is a great choice. It’s tasty and loaded with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and nutrients. Men should try to get vitamins A, C, D, E, K, and B vitamins, since all of these are beneficial for men’s health (10). Men’s Mega has all of these but vitamin K, so it’s another good option for men. Centrum Liquid
Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement is another option, although it lacks vitamin K and folate. The Centrum liquid is citrus flavored. If none of these appeal to you, there’s also the berry-flavored Bio Naturals Liquid Multivitamin for Men and Women, which also contains essential nutrients, along with an energy complex and prebiotic digestive support blend. This formulation also has zero artificial coloring/flavoring or sugar. It’s vegetarian and soy free as well.
Elderly men require different support than men of a younger age. The best liquid multivitamin for 60 year old men should contain B vitamins, along with vitamin C, calcium, omega fatty acids and Coq10 (11). Garden of Life Vitamin Code Multi contains all of these vitamins except CoQ10 and omega fatty acids. Krill MD is a good standalone liquid supplement that contains omega fatty acids, and adding Qunol Liquid CoQ10 to the vitamin regimen ensures that elderly men get the vitamins they need.
Liquid Multivitamin for Women
Tropical Oasis has a specifically formulated premium multivitamin for women. It contains several amino acids, an herbal extract blend and vitamins A, C, D, E, along with B vitamins, biotin and folic acid. It’s also got several minerals including selenium, calcium, chromium, copper, zinc, and magnesium. Like many of the options above, it has a citrus-like flavor. Tropical Oasis also makes a liquid beauty supplement for those who are interested in vitamins to boost skin health and overall appearance. MaryRuth’s Liquid Morning Multivitamin is another fantastic choice, since it’s got plenty of necessary vitamins for female health (12).
Of course, women who are pregnant or nursing have different dietary needs, since they are supporting the health of an infant as well as their own. One of the biggest changes is in daily intake of folic acid, which aids in the development in a baby’s brain and spinal cord and reduces the risk that the baby will be born with a neural tube defect.
Pregnant and nursing mothers need to ensure they have plenty of calcium, and fiber is helpful for pregnant women experiencing constipation. Pregnant and nursing women have a couple of options when it comes to liquid vitamins. If you are already on a daily liquid vitamin, you can add a liquid folic acid supplement to their regimen such as Dr’s Advantage Liquid Folic Acid. If you’d rather not take separate doses, EarlyLife has a Prenatal Multi + formula that contains vitamins and prebiotics for gut flora support.
The best vitamins for an 80 year old woman contain vitamins B6, B12, and D (13). All One Liquid Life Multivitamin is fruit flavored and checks all the boxes. It also contains trace minerals, an herbal complex, and antioxidants. Flaxseed oil powder provides omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids as well. VitaComplete Whole Food Liquid Vitamin also contains D and B vitamins, along with a fiber and digestive complex. It’s got antioxidants and ingredients that help with detoxification including alpha lipoic acid.
Liquid Multivitamin and Mineral
A liquid multivitamin and mineral is a good way to ensure you’re getting all of the nutrients your body needs. Liquid vitamins and minerals provide more health-boosting benefits than vitamins alone, since they speed delivery of essential minerals such as calcium, iodine (which helps promote thyroid function), iron, magnesium (which helps regulate blood sugar/pressure) and potassium (14).
There are several options available for those who are looking for liquid vitamin and mineral supplements. Some of these are the aforementioned IntraMax 2.0 and All One Liquid Life Multivitamin, along with the Mega-Premium Multivitamin developed by Tropical Oasis, the same makers of the Men’s Mega Premium Multivitamin and the women’s vitamin.
There is also Vit-Acell, a sugar-free option that comes in Raspberry Lemonade and Citrus Blast flavors. This liquid vitamin contains calcium, magnesium, and sodium to help balance electrolyte levels. Country Life Multivitamin & Mineral Complex, which is mango flavored, is another option. It also contains calcium and magnesium, but also has zinc, selenium, copper, manganese, chromium, and molybdenum, making it a far more comprehensive choice.
The above are just a few of the good options available to adults looking for a liquid multivitamin that will meet their needs. We hope this information is of use to you, and that you are one step closer to finding options to make your health (and your family’s health) better. Here’s to good health!
- MegaFood. “America's Nutrition Gap.” PR Newswire, 6 February 2017, https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/americas-nutrition-gap-although-60-of-americans-report-they-eat-a-very-healthy-diet-94-fall-short-of-daily-recommendations-300402521.html. Accessed 22 April 2021.
- Mayo Clinic. “Dysphagia.” Mayo Clinic, 17 October 2019, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dysphagia/symptoms-causes/syc-20372028#:~:text=Due to natural aging and,a normal sign of aging. Accessed 14 April 2021.
- Bendich, A. “Physiological Role of Antioxidants in the Immune System.” PubMed, September 1993, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8227682/#:~:text=Recent clinical trials have found,tumor immunity in the elderly. Accessed 21 April 2021.
- Foster, Jaime. “Nutritional Needs During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding.” Ohio Line, 25 February 2015, https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/HYG-5573#:~:text=It is important to consume 400 micrograms per day of,iron-deficiency-related anemia. Accessed 21 April 2021.
- Wikibooks. “Fundamentals of Human Nutrition/Dietary Reference Intakes.” WikiBooks, 19 January 2020, https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fundamentals_of_Human_Nutrition/Dietary_Reference_Intakes. Accessed 21 April 2021.
- Cleveland Clinic. “3 Vitamins that are Best for Boosting Your Immunity.” Health Essentials/Cleveland Clinic, 2 January 2020, https://health.clevelandclinic.org/3-vitamins-best-boosting-immunity/. Accessed 21 April 2021.
- Gleeson, Michael. “Effects of Exercise on Immune Function and Risk of Infection.” My Sport Science, 26 September 2016, https://www.mysportscience.com/post/strategies-to-reduce-illness. Accessed 22 April 2021.
- Hatanaka, Miho. “Vitamins and Supplements for Athletes.” Medical News Today, 29 November 2019, https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/327166. Accessed 22 April 2021.
- Mawer, Rudy. “L-Carnitine: Benefits, Side Effects, Sources and Dosage.” Healthline, 6 November 2018, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/l-carnitine. Accessed 22 April 2021.
- Wilkinson, Amy. “What are the Best Vitamins for Men?” SingleCare, 26 October 2020, https://www.singlecare.com/blog/vitamins-for-men/. Accessed 22 April 2021.
- Snug Safety. “The Best 7 Vitamins for Seniors to Protect Brain, Eye, and Bone Health.” Snug Safety, 15 July 2020, https://www.snugsafe.com/all-posts/best-vitamins-for-seniors. Accessed 22 April 2021.
- Kubala, Jillian. “Should Women Take Supplements?” Healthline, 16 February 2021, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamins-for-women. Accessed 22 April 2021.
- Kubala, Jillian. “The 7 Best Vitamins for Women Over 50.” Healthline, 5 February 2021, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/best-multivitamin-for-women-over-50#our-picks. Accessed 22 April 2021.
- Medline Plus. “Definitions of Health Terms: Minerals.” Medline Plus, 8 May 2020, https://medlineplus.gov/definitions/mineralsdefinitions.html#:~:text=Minerals are those elements on,molybdenum, manganese, and selenium. Accessed 23 April 2021.
More articles from Better Family
- Family Multivitamin
- Liquid Multivitamins
- Best Liquid Multivitamin for Kids
- Chewable vs Liquid Vitamins
- Comparing Monthly Vitamin Subscriptions
- Best Multivitamin for the Whole Family
- Family Diet And Menu Planning
- Multivitamin Liquid Side Effects
- Best Vitamin B12 Liquid Drops
- Liquid Children's Vitamins
- Vitamin Subscription Box
- Good Tasting Liquid Vitamins
- Liquid Vitamin B6 Supplement
- Liquid Selenium Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin E Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B1 Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B3 Supplement
- Family Health Goals
- Family Health Goals
- Family Health and Wellness Programs
- How to Absorb Multivitamins Better
- Family Nutrition Tips
- Liquid Multivitamin for Adults
- Liquid Multivitamin for Seniors
- Liquid Vitamins and Minerals
- Why Do We Need To Take Multivitamins?
- Liquid Zinc Supplement
- Vitamin Absorption Chart
- Vitamins That Taste Good
- Liquid Chromium Supplement
- Liquid Silicon Dioxide Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin D Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B9 Supplement
- Vitamin Subscription Services
- Can You Dissolve Multivitamins in Water?
- Organic Liquid Multivitamins and Minerals
- Tasteless Liquid Vitamins
- Nutrition For The Whole Family
- B Complex Liquid Drops
- Best Liquid Vitamins for Elderly
- Soluble Vitamins
- How To Take Multivitamins
- Tasteless Liquid Vitamins For Toddlers
- Liquid Zinc Benefits
- Best Tasting Gummy Vitamins
- Liquid Iodine Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin K Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B12 Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B7 Supplement