Better Family Article Series
The Absorption Advantage
This article series is brought to you by the team behind Liquid Daily: the better option for filling nutritional gaps in your household.
Liquid Is Better
Simplify Your Routine
You're In Control
- Vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc are some of the best vitamins and minerals to help boost the body’s immune system
- Liquid multivitamins are especially beneficial for young children and older adults who may struggle with swallowing pills or capsules
- It’s important to ensure that kids receive the recommended daily amount of essential vitamins and minerals, too – especially choosy eaters and kids with dietary restrictions
Immune Support Vitamins
Human immune systems are important and complex systems that help keep the body free of foreign pathogens and viruses that may cause infections and make people ill. Because of this, many people may rely on immune support vitamins to help ensure their bodies have all the vitamins and nutrients necessary to stay as healthy as possible. But there are a number of factors that can contribute to a person’s immune system and its ability to respond to perceived threats to the health and longevity of the body.
Some of the primary vitamins and minerals associated with immune system health are B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc (1). These vitamins and others are widely available in a variety of food sources, but it can be difficult to ensure we are receiving the daily recommended amount for each vitamin and mineral – especially since many people could scarcely say they eat the same things every day.
Vitamin C is generally considered an immune system booster because of its characteristics as an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory. And B vitamins like vitamin B6 are invaluable to the production of white blood cells and T-cells, which are two key components involved in immune system functionality (1). Vitamin B6 also works to help support biochemical reactions within the immune system, ensuring that your white blood cells are capable of fending off foreign pathogens and/or viruses (1).
When it comes to supporting the health and well-being of our children, it’s important to ensure that they receive enough healthy sources of calories and essential nutrients to provide their bodies with the fuel they need to continue growing and developing properly. Because many kids can be selective about the kinds of foods they eat, it can be especially difficult to ensure they receive all the essential vitamins and minerals they need. Because of this, vitamins for kids can help ensure they are receiving all of the essential vitamins and minerals their bodies need to promote healthy bodily functions.
Best Vitamins for Immune System
The best vitamins for immune system support will likely vary from person to person. No two bodies are exactly alike, and there are numerous contributing factors that may affect a person’s immune system or its ability to stave off illness or infections. While we have already touched on a handful of vitamins and minerals that are essential for various processes related to the body’s immune system, everyone’s situation is different and may call for an alternative approach.
To determine the best immune system supplements for your individual health needs, or to determine the best multivitamin for immune system support, consider asking your doctor or a qualified healthcare professional. These healthcare providers ought to have much greater insight into your medical history and can inform you if any over-the-counter supplements would interact with or mitigate the effectiveness of other medications you might be taking.
For people who simply need to know how to boost immune system quickly, many doctors and healthcare professionals agree that one of the best ways to ensure that your body receives all the vitamins and minerals it needs to survive is by consuming a balanced diet comprised of healthy, diverse, and nutrient-rich foods.
Immune Support Foods
There are numerous immune support foods – mainly dietary staples and seasonal fruits and vegetables that can offer several unique benefits for vital immune system processes. Healthcare professionals and nutrition experts generally agree that it’s best to try to consume all of your vitamins and minerals via a mindful and diverse diet.
Other immune support products like immune support powders or probiotics can be helpful in some situations, but it’s generally best to try to obtain all your vitamins and minerals from eating a healthy, well-balanced diet. Here are a few bulleted lists comprised of foods rich in various vitamins that can help support the body’s immune system functionality (1):
Foods rich in vitamin C:
- Brussels sprouts
- Citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, grapefruits, etc.)
- Green and red bell peppers
- Kiwi fruit
Foods rich in vitamin B6:
- Beef, beef liver
- Chicken, turkey
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Cottage cheese
- Certain fortified breakfast cereals and bars
Foods rich in vitamin E:
- Nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, pine, etc.)
Foods rich in zinc:
- Beef (leaner cuts)
- Blue crab
- Cheddar cheese
And these are just a few examples of some of the healthier foods that can help support the body’s immune system. There are countless other sources of antioxidants and other essential vitamins and minerals – part of knowing how to eat healthily includes knowing what fresh fruits and vegetables are in season and locally available, too.
Daily Immune Support Supplement
For people who enjoy practicing daily routines, taking a daily immune support supplement or an all-in-one immune supplement may be beneficial. These all-in-one products, also sometimes referred to as multivitamins, are like a condensed health cocktail. While they can be packed full of virtually every nutrient the body could ever hope for, some ingredients may inhibit the body’s ability to absorb other vitamins contained within the same supplement.
Additionally, the way daily immune support products are packaged may contribute to their effectiveness as well. For instance, liquid vitamins are typically easier for the body to absorb than their pill or capsule counterparts. Because of this, people suffering from gastrointestinal diseases or other chronic illnesses that make it difficult to absorb nutrients may find liquid multivitamin products particularly beneficial. Of course, you should always check with your primary care physician or a trusted, licensed medical professional before adding a daily multivitamin to your regimen. Doctors and other trusted healthcare professionals can also tell you if there are any interactions with any current medications you may be taking.
Immune Support Supplement Benefits
There are a variety of immune support supplement benefits – especially for people who may not be able to obtain all of their vitamins and nutrients from their regular diet. For example, people who suffer from gastrointestinal diseases may have a difficult time absorbing enough vitamins to help support normal immune system functioning. Especially for people with Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, absorbing vitamins and nutrients can be a daily struggle on top of everything else that comes with being an immunocompromised individual.
For people who struggle to absorb vitamins and nutrients via more traditional methods, liquid multivitamin supplements may be especially helpful. Liquid vitamins, especially when administered sublingually (that is, underneath the tongue), are much more quickly and efficiently absorbed into the body. Liquid vitamin products can also be a great solution for kids and for elderly individuals as well – anyone who might have difficulty swallowing traditional pills or capsules.
Making sure you exercise plenty can also help support the body’s immune system. This is largely because regular physical activity can help contribute to a person’s overall health. Exercise can help stimulate cellular immunity and cellular replenishment, and people who exercise more regularly generally report being able to sleep better at night – in terms of quality and quantity. Additionally, regular exercise can help decrease a person’s risk of cardiovascular disease and other diseases as the body ages (2).
Best Vitamins for Immune System for Kids
Because kids are still growing and developing, it’s especially important to ensure they receive all the vitamins and minerals necessary to help support healthy immune system functionality. Kids can also spend a fair amount of time around other children in close, indoor settings. Schools and daycare centers do their best to maintain cleanliness to help reduce the risk of spreading illnesses, but getting sick is also a fairly natural part of growing up as the immune system develops its responses for future illnesses.
Providing adequate liquid immune support for toddlers may sound like an overwhelming challenge, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be that way. Parents of young children know it can be difficult, to say the least, to get toddlers dressed in the morning, let alone ensure that they are receiving their daily recommended amount of essential vitamins and minerals. One of the best ways to ensure that your child has access to immune system-supporting nutrients is to utilize a daily liquid multivitamin. Liquid vitamin products are generally easier to take or administer than their pill counterparts, and liquid products can also be better for bodily absorption than even gummies or capsules.
Immune support vitamins for toddlers can help ensure that their rapidly growing and developing bodies have the necessary vitamins and minerals needed to support healthy growth and development. Supporting toddlers’ immune systems is especially important since they are still young and learning how to protect themselves from germs and other illnesses.
The best vitamins for the immune system of kids are generally the same vitamins that are responsible for promoting healthy immune system functioning in adults as well. Human bodies are complex and amazing organisms, and in order to function properly, they require care and attention like all living entities. By helping kids develop healthier habits when they are young, caregivers can provide a lifetime of benefits.
- Cleveland Clinic. “5 Vitamins That Are Best for Boosting Your Immunity” Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials: Nutrition. 17 November 2022. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/vitamins-best-boosting-immunity/
- Sara Lindberg. “Does Exercise Boost Immunity?” Healthline. 9 March 2022. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/does-exercise-boost-immune-system
More articles from Better Family
- Family Multivitamin
- Liquid Multivitamins
- Best Liquid Multivitamin for Kids
- Chewable vs Liquid Vitamins
- Comparing Monthly Vitamin Subscriptions
- Best Multivitamin for the Whole Family
- Family Diet And Menu Planning
- Multivitamin Liquid Side Effects
- Best Vitamin B12 Liquid Drops
- Liquid Children's Vitamins
- Vitamin Subscription Box
- Good Tasting Liquid Vitamins
- Liquid Vitamin B6 Supplement
- Liquid Selenium Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin E Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B1 Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B3 Supplement
- Vitamins To Take In Winter - A Detailed Guide
- Liquid Prenatal Vitamins
- Immune Support Vitamins
- Family Health Goals (1 of 2)
- Family Health Goals (2 of 2)
- Family Health and Wellness Programs
- How to Absorb Multivitamins Better
- Family Nutrition Tips
- Liquid Multivitamin for Adults
- Liquid Multivitamin for Seniors
- Liquid Vitamins and Minerals
- Why Do We Need To Take Multivitamins?
- Liquid Zinc Supplement
- Vitamin Absorption Chart
- Vitamins That Taste Good
- Liquid Chromium Supplement
- Liquid Silicon Dioxide Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin D Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B9 Supplement
- 4 Winter Wellness Tips With Great Instant Results
- Fun Ideas For Staying Healthy In The Winter
- Vitamin D Deficiency During Winter
- How To Stay Healthy During Winter Season
- Vitamin Subscription Services
- Can You Dissolve Multivitamins in Water?
- Organic Liquid Multivitamins and Minerals
- Tasteless Liquid Vitamins
- Nutrition For The Whole Family
- B Complex Liquid Drops
- Best Liquid Vitamins for Elderly
- Soluble Vitamins
- How To Take Multivitamins
- Tasteless Liquid Vitamins For Toddlers
- Liquid Zinc Benefits
- Best Tasting Gummy Vitamins
- Liquid Iodine Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin K Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B12 Supplement
- Liquid Vitamin B7 Supplement
- 11 Fun Indoor Winter Activities For Families
- 3 Best Vitamins For Flu Season You Must Always Have
- Liquid B12 Benefits
- Vitamins Made In The USA